Department of Zoology is one of the younger departments of the college in the sense that it emerged as a separate department in the year 1972-73.
Since then it has taken long strides in establishing itself as a premier center. It has well stacked library, labs with modern equipments, a biomuseum and a dynamic staff. It is keeping with the tradition of the college of being a step ahead of times, the department has arranged conferences and seminars where in well learned people who are involved in creation of knowledge participate and thus help in percolating the recent knowledge to the seekers.
• Fundamental concepts and principles useful in daily life.
• Knowledge of plants and animals (biodiversity).
• Interdependence and relationships of zoology with other branches.
• Knowledge of general rules of health and human body.
• To create awareness about myths and beliefs in society.
• Number of Laboratories. 02
• Number of desk top computers.1
• Number of Lap top computers1
• Teaching aids OHP Projector
• Major equipments Incubator, pH meter, Binoculars, Mass Spectrometer, Compound Microscopes, Microtome
Alumni’s of the department:
• Smt.Jasmine Killedar -Subject Inspector ,DDPE Office, Bagalkot .
• Dr.Sangmesh Malaji ,MD faculty in Hanagal Kumareshwaar Medical College, Bagalkot.
• Ashok V. Kempalingannvar Director of M.P.E.I . Bagalkot.
• Smt. Madhavi Mulgund faculty in Kolhapur Intstitute of technology, Kolhapur.
• Mr.M.H.Jainapur Health Assistant in Air Force.
• R.C.Challannavar BPO, Infosys.
• Mr.GouseMamdapur Library Trainee, Indian Institute of Astophysics, Govt.of India, Bangalore.
• Mr. S. K. Pawar , PSI at Gadag
• Mr. P.P. Jakkanagoudar, Flying officer, IAF
• Pramod Goudar & Mallikarjun Hiremath Forest Range officer, Government of Karanataka
|2||Miss. Alakatti Shoubagya||III||2006|
|3||Mr. Malaji. P.M.||IV||2002|
|4||Mr. Pawar. S.k||IV||2001|
|5||Miss. Bagewadi Rajani||III||1999|
|6||Mr. Malaji. B.M||V||1998|
|7||Mr. Malaji. S.M.||I||1994|
|8||Miss Gangavati. P.B.||X||1981|
|1||K U College Botany & Zoology Teachers conference||2009||Basaveshwar Science College, Bagalkot|
|2||State Level seminar On Wild life Conservation & Management||2010||UGC|
|3||State Level Seminar on Taxonomy & Phylogeography||2015||UGC|
Workshop on BLAST and FASTA by Dr.Virupakshayya DBM of
Basaveshwar Engg. College, Bagalkot
|5||Hands on training on Apiculture at University of Horticultural Sciences, Bagalkot||2019||College Level|
|1.||Bird Watching programme around Bagalkot, Anagwadi, Chikka Sangam with students, staff and Mr.Ashok M.Sajjan Chairman, College Governing Council BVVS.||25th Dec 2014||Nearby Bagalkot areas. Anagawadi, Chikka sangam back water of Ghatprabha river.||Staff of Zoology dept and B.Sc.VI(CBZ) sem students|
Inauguration of BVVS Nature Club By Salumarada Timmakka.
|24th Jan 2015||Bagalkot||B.Sc.CBZ Students|
Visit to Nutan Vidyalaya High School.
a. A talk on Myths and realty of Poisonous and Non- Poisonous snakes by Dr. M.S.Bisnal.
b. Health and Hygienicity by Smt. P.B.Rudrakshi.
|20th Feb 2015||Kajjidoni||10th stdHigh School Students|
Visit to Huchheshwar High School.
a. Talk on Life cycle and uses of Silworm by Smt. P.B.Rudrakshi.
b. A talk on Scope of Zoology By Smt.S.R.Sabarad
|12th March 2015||Kamatagi||7th ,8th & 10th std Students|
|5||On Blood grouping & Awareness about Poisonous & Non-poisonous snakes||23rd Feb 2018||Govt Higher Primary School, Gundanapallya(RC)||6th & 7th Std Students|
|6||History on Nobel Prize & Soil microorganisms||26th Feb 2018||Govt Higher Primary School, Gundanapallya(RC)||6th & 7th Std Students|
|1.||Visit to Kulagi Nature Camp.||21st Feb 2015||Dandeli||To study the Biodiversity of species for B.Sc.IV sem students.|
|2||Visit to study Sericulture and Poultry farm.||4th March 2015||Guledgudd||To study the rearing and reeling of silkworm for B.Sc. VI sem students.|
|3||Visit to study Medicinal Instruments MRI, CT, Ultra scanning etc||11th March 2015||HSK Medical College Bagalkot||To study the working and uses of Medical instruments B.Sc. VI sem students.|
|4||Field Visit on Seri Culture||04/02/2017||At Navanagar Bagalkot||To study the rearing of silk worms|
|5||Field Visit on Seri Culture||14/03/2018||At Seri Culture Form Kamatagi||To study the rearing of silk worms|
|6||Bird Watching at Mallapur||12/01/2019||At Back Water of Krishna River||To Study Migratory Birds|
|7||Hands of training on Apiculture||30/01/2019||At UHSs Bagalkot||To study about Honey Bees|
Darwin’s club activities
|1||Showing Video on Origin of Earth.||6th,9th & 11thJuly 2015||
To know the How earth has been originated and
Process of Big gang theory.
For B.Sc.V Sem students.
|2||Showing Video on Origin of Life-||16th July 2015||To know the How life has been originated on earth by chemicals.|
|3||Showing Video on Mesozoic Reptiles.||8th Aug 2015||Structure & habitat of different types of Dinosaurs.|
1) Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi has presented paper entitled “Cancer and Carcinogenic agents“ in Karnataka University Botany and Zoology College Teachers’ Conference sponsored by UGC New Delhi held on 28th March 2010conducted at Nehru Arts and Science, Commerce College Hubli.
Smt. P.B.Rudrakshi has completed the research project during 2012-13 of studies on insect pests of grape(Vitis vinifera) and pomegranate(Punica granatum) in Bagalkot district(Karnataka) and also achieved “BEST WOMEN SCIENTIST AWARD” in 7th Kannada Vignana Sammelana for presenting the paper on Effects of insect pests of grape(Vitis vinifera) and pomegranate(Punica granatum) in Bagalkot district conducted by Swadeshi Vijnana Andolana-Karnataka
Smt. P. B. Rudrakashi a paper on the topic ” Threatened amphibian fauna of western Ghats” in 6 the national women’s science congress on 8-11-2013 at Lakshmi Venkatesh Desai College, Raichur.
• Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi has resource person for guest lecture in Yoga and Its Uses conducted by Akkan Balaga,Bagalkot on 14th Nov 2014.
• Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi has resource person for guest lecture in Sericulture and Uses conducted by Akkmahadevi Women’s College, Bagalkot on 18th Oct 2014.
• Smt. S.R. Sabarad participated in one day National Orientation course conducted by IGNOU 19th Nov 2013.
• Smt. S.R. Sabarad participated in State Level Seminar on Electoral Reforms held S.C.Nadimath Law College, Bagalkot on 6th April 2014.
• participated in State Level Seminar on Electoral Reforms held C.Nadimath Law College, Bagalkot on 6th April 2014.
• Chairperson for IQAC “Research & Consultancy Criteria “ from 2015-2017 Basaveshwar Science College.
3) Dr. M. S. Bisnal attended 73 rd orientation programme held by ASC, Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, from 25-11-2013 to 21-12-2013.
• participated in syllabus framing workshop conducted by Zoology Teacher’s Association on 5/04/2016 at Anjuman college, Bijapur.
• participated in National Conference in Palas, Sangali 0th Aug 2015.
4)Smt. S. R.Deshpande
• acted as Chairperson for Women Empowerment Cell & Ladies Association of Basaveshwar Science College during 2015-2016.
• witnessed IRNSS –E-31 satellite launching on 20th Jan 2016 at SriHarikota.
• acted editor for Annual College Magazine Jnana Deepti– 2 during 2015-2016.
6)Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi, Dr.M.S.Bisnal and Smt. S. R.Deshpande attended and became members of North Karanataka Birders Network on 20th March 2016 held aty MAntra Residency Hubli.
7) Smt. G.G. Hiremath acted as Chairperson for Women Empowerment cell during the year 2016-17.
MINOR RESEARCH PROJECT:
“ River quality analysis by Biomonitoring method ”-Smt. S.R. Deshpande
“STUDIES ON INSECT PESTS OF GRAPE (Vitis vinifera) AND POMEGRANATE (Punica granatum)”-Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi
1) Mr. Avinash Badiger of 6 th sem. in the year 2012-13 won 4th prize in story writing competition conducted by Christ College, Bangalore.
2) Mr. Santosh Helavar of 6th sem. in the year 2012-13 won 3rd prize in poem writing competitionconducted by Christ College, Bangalore.
3) Mr. Shivanagouda Mirji of 4th sem. in the year 2012-13 selected as university blue in net-ball.
4) Mr. Shivabasavashastri of 3rd sem. in the year 2013 has participated in the district level and university level youth feltival competition programmes.
|Sl No||Name of the Staff||Class||Event|
|1||Miss. Anita Sajjan||B.Sc.V sem||TCS|
|2||Miss. Baby Chalwadi||B.Sc.V sem||TCS|
|Released||To be released||Audit report & Progress report|
Major achievements in the department for last five years:
1. Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi awarded as “ Best Woman Scientist “ in 7th Kannada Vijnana Sammelena of Swadeshi Vijnana Andolana –Karanataka.
2. Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi attended 6th National Women Science Congress held at LVD College, Riachur on 8th Nov 2013.
3. Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi submitted her Minor Research Project on studies on insect pests of grape(vitis vinifer) & pomegranate (punica granatum)in Bagalkot district.
Department conducted UGC Sponsored State Level Seminar on Taxonomy & Phylogeography on 6th Dec 2015.
Dr on 2.M.S.Bisnal participated in National Conference in Palas, Sangali 0th Aug 2015.
Smt. S. R.Deshpande witnessed IRNSS –E-31 satellite launching on 20th Jan 2016 at SriHarikota.
Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi, Dr.M.S.Bisnal and Smt. S. R.Deshpande attended and became members of North Karanataka Birders Network on 20th March 2016 held aty MAntra Residency Hubli.
Publications by faculty of the college in reference pattern.
1. Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi., Feb 2012.Insect pests of Grape & Pomegranate in Bagalkot District, 7th Kannada Vijnana Sammelena of Swadeshi Vijnana Andolana –Karanataka ISSN 2249-5754.
2. Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi., Nov 2013. Threatened Amphibian Fauna of Western ghats- causes & remedies,Lilavati-6: 6th National Women Science Congress pp: 293-296,ISSN 2250-3978.
3. Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi., March 2015.Yoga in Sports Science pp:177-181 WITAC –2015 ISBN : 978-81-923455-7-4.
4. Dr.B.S.Kittur, Dr.Y.Srinivas and Smt.S.R.Deshpande., March 2015. Evaluation of Leaf & Stem Extracts of Cassia glauca for Antimicrobial activity International Journal of Pure & Applied Zoology Vol-3 Issue1,pp: 98-102 ISSN:2320-9577.
5. Surekha R Deshpande., B.Shankar Naik.,Jan 2016.Evaluation of in vitro antimicrobial activity of extracts of Cassia obtusifolia L. and Senna Sophera(L) Roxb against pathogenic organisms., Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science Vol-6(1).,pp:083-085.ISSN :2231-3354.
(b) Paper presentation in conferences:
• Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi presented a paper on” Insect pests of Grape & Pomegranate in Bagalkot District” in National 7th Kannada Vijnana Sammelena of Swadeshi Vijnana Andolana –Karanataka held at Gulberga University on 2/2/2012.
• Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi presented a paper on “Threatened Amphibian Fauna of Western ghats- causes & remedies” in 6th National Women Science Congress held at LVD College, Riachur on 8th Nov 2013.
• Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi presented a paper on “Yoga in Sports Science”in State Level seminar at Sri Satya Sai Institute of Home Science Dharawad on 28th March 2015.
• Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi presented a paper on” Avifauna of Almatti dam and surrounding areas” in National Level Conference held at Nehru Arts, Science & Commerce College Hubli on 8th Aug 2015.
• Smt.P.B.Rudrakshi presented a paper on “ Taxonomy of Hibiscus rosenensis “ in State Level Seminar held at Basaveshwar Science College Bagalkot on 6th Dec.2015.
• Smt.S.R.Sabarad presented a paper on “ Reforming Indian Higher Education” in State Level Seminar held at BVVS Polytechnic College on 17/07/2015.
• Smt.S.R.Sabarad presented a paper on “ Taxonomic Evidence for establishment of Classifications and Phylogenies” in State Level Seminar held at Basaveshwar Science College Bagalkot on 6th Dec.2015.
• Smt.S.R.Deshpande Presented a paper on “Higher Education in India: Growth and Challenges ahead” in National seminar on Succession Planning in Higher Educationconducted by SRN Kanthi College, Mudhol on 20th Feb 2015.
• Smt.S.R.Deshpande Presented a paper on “ Role of PhD Scholars, Universities and Private Institutes in sprouting Leaders” in State Level Seminar held at BVVS Polytechnic College on 17/07/2015.
• Smt.S.R.Deshpande Presented a paper on “ Taxonomy: Research status & challanges” in State Level Seminar held at Basaveshwar Science College Bagalkot on 6thDec.2015.
• Smt.G.G.Hiremath Presented a paper on “ Water Quality Management” in National Level Seminar held at B.H.S Arts & TGP Science College, Jamkhandi on 29/7/2015
• Smt.G.G.Hiremath Presented a paper on “ Important Indian Fauna” in State Level Seminar held at Basaveshwar Science College Bagalkot on 6th Dec.2015
• Smt.R.I Saudagar Presented a paper on “ Biodegradation of Xenobiotic Compounds” in National Level
• Seminar held at B.H.S Arts & TGP Science College, Jamkhandi on 29/7/2015.
• Smt. P.B.Rudraxi achieved Best Paper Presenter by Swadeshi Vijnana Andolana conducted on 15-16 th Sept -2016 in Kannada Vijnana Sammelan.
|Sl no||Topic||Resource person||Date||Target group|
|1.||Human Reproduction||Dr.Anita Kanthi||25/9/2012||Teachers & Students|
|2||Stress and Its Management||Prof.Mukta Hiremath||22/8/2013||Teachers & Students|
|3||Inauguration of Darwin’s Club||Dr.R.L.Deshpande||30/07/2014||Teachers & Students|
|4||Bioinformatics||Dr.Virupakshyya||20-02-2015||Teachers & Students|
|5||Environmental Issues.||Mr. Aaron Pardy and Jessica Kuepfer From Canada||18-03-2015||Teachers & Students|
|6.||Modern Trends in Biotechnology||Prof.Madhavi Mulgund.||19/9/2015||Teachers & Students|
|7.||Bioinformatics||Dr.Virupakshyya||23/2/2016||Teachers & Students|
|8.||Population Ecology||Dr. S. S. Hangaragi||15/09/2016||Teachers & Students|
|9.||Forest Management and Consurvation||Dr. Sanjay Deshpande||13/02/2017||Teachers & Students|
|10||Production of Antibiotics and Enzymes||Dr. Laxman Vijapur||08/02/2019||Teachers & Students|